Home ARCHIVES Paris Terror Attack: A Policeman Killed, Two Others Wounded

Paris Terror Attack: A Policeman Killed, Two Others Wounded

566

Only three days before the presidential election, one policeman was killed and two others seriously wounded during a shootout on Thursday, April 20 at around 9 pm on the famous Champs Elysees Avenue in Paris. A defense council was held on Friday morning chaired by the head of state. Update on the circumstances of the attack.

A policeman was killed, the attacker shot dead

An assailant fired Thursday night on police officers stationed in a “static surveillance” vehicle on the Champs-Elysees Avenue in Paris. He targeted the 32nd rapid intervention group from the public order and traffic direction of the police district of Paris (DOPC).

One of them was killed and two others wounded. The attacker was shot dead. According to Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet, the assailant used an “automatic gun”, a “weapon of war”.

A passer-by was also wounded, said the President of the Republic, François Hollande, in a brief speech. In the evening, the Interior Ministry spokesman said that there was “no other ongoing security response on the Champs-Elysees”, contrary to some rumors.

The identity of the assailant

According to some news of the Monde, the author of the attack is Karim Cheurfi, native of Livry-Gargan. The 39-year-old had already been prosecuted for acts of violence against police officers dating back to 2001.

Three members of his entourage were held in custody for questioning by the police. These three persons were at the raided homes of the alleged assassin by the investigators on Thursday night in Seine-et-Marne.

On Thursday evening, the prosecutor of the Republic of Paris, François Molins, told the press near the place of the attack that “the identity of the attacker is known and verified”. However, he refused to disclose it, because of the necessity of the investigation opened by the anti-terrorist prosecutor’s office. The man appeared to have acted alone during the aggression, and investigations are underway to establish “whether he was assisted or not”, he added.

Islamic state organization claims the attack

The terrorist organization ISIS quickly claimed responsibility for the attack through its Amaq propaganda agency.

On Thursday night, Francois Hollande said he was “convinced that it was a terrorist attack” after a crisis meeting with Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve and Minister of the Interior Matthias Fekl .

Source: Le Monde